This year has started out as a busy one. I’m not complaining because it beats being bored and stagnant. Wednesdays are usually busy with after school activities, but something I noticed is that having things to do and people to do them with is a blessing. So while sometimes we may be tired and wish we could sit still and do nothing, just remember that someone cared enough to include you in their busy schedule. 🙂
Now that doesn’t mean I don’t get frustrated with being on the go a lot, but sometimes you have to put things in perspective. There are times when I do get overwhelmed, but I have some things I do to take the edge off.
- Meditate…just take a few minutes to meditate on positive thoughts or an affirmation. This helps to recenter my thoughts and the day.
- Take a few deep breaths…simple breathing exercised can help you refocus and clear your brain. It actually has been proven that doing breathing exercises helps brain function and clear out your lungs too. Reinvigorates the blood stream too.
- Find a quiet space…now because I’m moving a lot, this one can be tricky. If I am at my destination though, I find a quiet space to go sit or stand for a few minutes. Whether it is a stairwell, a bathroom, an empty conference room/classroom, or wherever you can just remove yourself from people and noise. This helps keep me calm I’ve found. I think this has to do with being an only child. My senses can get overloaded if there’s too much going on around me and I’m already under a lot of stress.
- Stand up and stretch…this really helps my joints and muscles from tensing up. I have found that with my back issues, I carry my stress in my shoulders and neck. Holding in all that stress has led me to realize that simply stretching helps relieve a lot of tension and stress that I sometimes don’t even notice I am carrying. Man is it refreshing!
- Listen to music…this is my all time favorite thing to do. I have one heck of a playlist that usually plays in my head (lol). When I worked for Borders’ at the main office, I received a ton of music from the buyers. My collection has gotten up to about 3,000 songs, but with the digital age these streaming services are amazing! I keep Spotify handy for sure. Sometimes I just hit play and let the music take over. Maybe even dance it out a couple times.
I’ll share with you a shortened version of my go-to playlist that can change my mood almost instantly.
Mood Booster Playlist
B. Traits featuring Elisabeth Troy “Fever”
Justin Bieber (Skrillex/Diplo) “Where Are Ü Now”
Justin Timberlake “Let the Groove Get In”
Roisin Murphy “If We’re in Love”
Owl Eyes “Open Up”
Ellie Goulding “Starry Eyed”
Swedish House Mafia “Greyhound”
St. Lucia “Elevate”
Paramore “Ain’t if Fun”
St. Lucia “Dancing on Glass”
The 1975 “The Sound”
Jai Paul “Jasmine”
Calvin Harris “Flashback”
Chanel “My Life”
Check these out for a little boost in your mood and energy. Have a great hump day!