No we’re not talking bologna, we’re talking the biggest award show honoring actors/actresses, directors, producers, and crews in the movie industry. If you’ll be home watching the show, try these cocktails for your Oscars watch party. Each drink representing the letters of the Oscars.
O – Old Fashioned
S – Sidecar
C – Cosmopolitan
A – Apple Cider Shandy
R – Red Carpet
S – Spicy Paloma
- 1 scant teaspoon simple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters, plus more to taste
- 1 half dollar–sized slice orange peel, including pith
- 2 ounces good-quality rye or bourbon
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 lemon wedge
- Ice cubes
- 2 ounces domestic brandy
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3-inch-long strip of lemon zest
- Place sugar in a shallow dish or saucer. Run the lemon wedge around the rim of a martini glass and discard. Dip the rim in sugar to coat. Fill glass with ice and set aside to chill.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add brandy, Cointreau, and lemon juice; shake vigorously.
- Remove ice from glass and discard. Twist lemon peel over glass; strain cocktail into glass. Serve immediately.
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) citrus vodka
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) orange liqueur, such as Triple Sec
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cranberry juice
- 1 cup ice cubes
- lemon or orange twist
In cocktail shaker, combine vodka, orange liqueur, lime juice, simple syrup, and cranberry juice. Add ice and shake vigorously for 20 seconds. Strain into chilled martini glass. Rub orange or lemon twist around rim, drop twist into glass, and serve immediately.
Apple Cider Shandy
- 4 (12-fluid ounce) bottles lager beer, chilled (recommended: Heineken)
- 1 (25.4-fluid ounce) bottle sparkling apple cider, chilled
- Slowly pour the beer into a 10-cup capacity pitcher and slowly add the sparkling cider.
- Pour the shandy into frosted glasses and serve immediately
- 1 1/2 ounces Vodka
- 1 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce Hiram Walker Pomegranate Schnapps
- 1 ounce pomegranate juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- Lemon slice for garnish
- Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon slice.
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño, sliced, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces tequila
- 1 1/2 cup (from 5 ruby red grapefruits) fresh grapefruit juice, strained and pulp discarded
- 1 lime
- Squirt soda (or any other grapefruit-flavored soda or soda water)
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- In a small saucepan, mix together the water, agave nectar and jalapeño. Cook on medium-low until the agave is dissolved. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to steep for 10 minutes. Strain, discarding the jalapeños (or alternatively you could use them as the garnish), and set aside the spicy simple syrup.
- In a small plate, mix together the cane sugar and sea salt. Run a lime wedge around each glass and dip the rim in the sugar/salt mixture. To assemble one cocktail, drop few ice cubes in a cocktail glass. Add 1 ounce of tequila, 1 ounce of spicy simple syrup, 3 ounces of grapefruit juice, a squeeze of lime juice and a splash of grapefruit soda; mix and garnish with a few slices of jalapeño. Repeat until the remaining 3 cocktails are made.
Yield: 4 cocktails